Winter Reading List


I haven't had much time to read recently due to Christmas, New Years and, of course, college work, so I'm making it one of my goals to read more in 2017. For Christmas I received a WHSmith voucher, so I used it to pick out some books that I fancy giving a try. They're all very different books in completely different genres, but they all sound really good.

Special Ones by Em Bailey

To be honest, I hadn't heard of this book before I walked into WHSmith to have a look. Usually I know what I'm looking for and what I want, but this time I had no idea, which is probably why I spent so long in there deciding which ones to buy!  I recently read Nerve by Jeanne Ryan and absolutely loved that, and this book reminded me go that.

Blurb:
Esther is one of the four Special Ones, chosen to live under his protection in a remote farmhouse. They are not allowed to leave, and they must always be ready to broadcast their lives to eager followers on the outside. But on renewal day when he decides that a new Esther, Harry, Lucille or Felicity must take their place, the old ones disappear - forever. The new ones don't always want to come, but soon they... realise. Until one day Esther has a realisation of her own, and it changes everything. 

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer

This book I didn't actually buy with my voucher, I've had it for quite a while. I'm pretty sure my mum got it for me a while back but I've never got round to reading it. This book is totally different to the previous one; it's supposed to be moving, touching and compelling. It's quite different to what I normally read but I'm intrigued by the blurb and really want to find out what happens. I love books written in similar styles to this one.

Blurb:
'I'll tell you what happened because it will be a good way to introduce my brother. His name's Simon. I think you're going to like him. I really do. But in a couple of pages he'll be dead. And he was never the same after that.

The Potion Diaries: Royal Tour by Amy Alward

This book is actually the sequel to 'The Potion Diaries' which I originally found due to Zoella's book club picks. I wasn't expecting to enjoy that book that much, as it seemed quite childish and not really what I am into, but I loved it. It's not just about princesses like you would expect it to be, but it actually has a really good plot and is full of adventure. I liked it so much I thought I'd pick up the sequel to see if its anywhere near as good as the first.

Blurb:
Since winning the hunt and saving her new BFF, Princess Evelyn, Sam Kemi has been royally busy. What with TV interviews, working in her family's potion store and preparing to join Evelyn on her world tour, Sam STILL hasn't time for a real date with Zain, her new-boyfriend-slosh-former-rival. And that's not happening anytime soon. Someone has tampered with Sam's grandad's mind and she is the only one who can unlock his memories. But those memories had the key to the most powerful potion in the world - which people would kill for. So sam must swap dresses, princes and palaces for dragons, centaurs and caves in her quest to save her grandad (and everyone else).

I hope you've had a good start to 2017!

Thanks,
Alice x

Comments

Popular Posts